It seems like each week, another prominent business or organization admits it has been the victim of a cyber attack. The Democratic National Committee, Yahoo, and Citibank are just a few examples of recent victims. If you think cyber criminals only go after the big fish, think again. The House Committee on Small Business held hearings earlier this year on the growing threat of cyber attacks to small businesses. If you don’t yet have a Cyber Liability Insurance policy, you would be wise to make it a top priority in the New Year to get one.
Insurance will protect you from the financial ramifications of falling victim to a cyber attack. Taking steps to safeguard your business will help you prevent an attack. Here are nine quick and easy steps the Department of Homeland Security suggests small businesses should take immediately to stymie cyber criminals.
- Avoid clicking on links in emails. (Instead log on to the site directly.)
- Avoid opening any attachment from an unknown sender or a sender that shouldn’t need to send attachments (such as a retailer.) When in doubt, contact the sender directly to verify the attachment is legitimate.
- Turn off your email setting that allows automatic download of attachments.
- Avoid sharing personal information on the phone or electronically unless you are certain that the person requesting the information is who he says he is, and has a legitimate need for the information.
- Choose complex passwords and never share them with anyone.
- Update your browser, operating system, anti-virus software regularly.
- Always verify information requests before complying by contacting the requester directly.
- Be careful about website URLs. Many cyber criminals set up bogus websites with URLs similar to the authentic sites. (For example, they may change a “.net” to a “.com”.
- Trust your gut and if you feel that an e-mail is bogus, click delete. Anyone who really needs to get in touch with you will reach out by phone.
About Walker & Associates Insurance
If you’re not sure if your insurance is sufficient, it’s smart business to have your risks evaluated by professionals you can trust. Since being founded in 1960, Walker & Associates has embraced a “service is first” philosophy. Our team is focused on ensuring that each client receives individualized guidance to preserve their assets and control their expenses. Our strong relationships with international, national, and Indiana insurance companies allow us to negotiate the best coverages, terms, and pricing for our clients. Contact us at Walker & Associates Insurance, (888) 760-7292, for all of your business and personal insurance needs.